The title was taken from the book Prozac Nation.
When you are sad, you sing, you pray, you write songs or you write a new blog…bitching about what went wrong, what I should’ve done, what I could’ve done. I think I’ve failed, I think I’m right… I think I’m depressed, I think I’m exasperated, I think a lot of things. I think (again), I think most when I’m sad. My brain just functions at a speeding rate, I cannot stop thinking. Do I say it out loud? Not so much. Like a duck swimming in the river, ever so graciously, but beneath the water, its feet paddling like mad.
You can bet that I won’t be spilling anything. But rather, how in every sadness, I always find that one true happiness. A glimmer of hope that it is possible to feel happy again. It started when I got frustrated at myself, and how I got angrier because I was sad… and then, I realized that in the lows of all lows, the only way I can pick myself up and feel whole again is to make others happy.
Recently, my mum is my shrink. She’s no psychologist. But, you know what they say, when you can’t find a friend, put down your binoculars and look closer to home. It always works! She’s a good listener, and today I found out that lying down and telling all your worries away (like they do in the movies) do work. It’s actually very soothing, because I guess lying down is the only option when you have a burden; I mean, at first, I just sat down on the couch (that 3-seater couch) and just started talking to mum, but as time progresses, and after a few this and that from Dear mother, I decided to lie down on the couch. The lying down is as if, even your body can’t handle what you’re going through and lying down seems appropriate. I don’t know, that’s just my theory.
Alright, so what else do I do when I’m sad, well, here are some of the list to get me through the sorrows (not that I get sad often).
1. Think of pretty things. Anything that will make you smile. Cats, Dogs, Rabbits, babies…
2. It also helps to look at websites of other countries (and act like a local), my favorites are London and New York. I simply can’t get enough of the 2 cities, like, A Tale Of Two Cities (my own version). There’s something sinfully vibrant about it.
3. Talk to a friend. Like most women, problems in a relationship will sooner or later arise. If you haven’t got a ‘instant shrink’ mum; then it’s best to talk to a friend. A good friend. Remember, a problem shared is a problem halved.
4. Yoga. No doubt, all those breathing from the nose and the flip flops topsy turvies do make for a balance body …and soul. Namaste.
5. Do the things you love. Even if it’s just lying on your bed listening to the rain. Or curling up to a good book with a cuppa white tea. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as you enjoy it and ultimately makes you feel good/better. For me, I like to play the piano, again, not a pianist, but I can play the Menuetto at least.
6. Cooking! my specialty cooking are pastas (bolognaise and cream sauce), I used to make grilled honey-glazed lamb chops with mint sauce that is absolutely delicious when I was in College. I think it’s time to make one, now that I’ve mentioned it. Take a look at epicurious; it’s got a wide range of recipes to choose from.
7. Listen to music. Music is the most legal drug. Trust me. At this very second, I am currently listening to Coldplay-Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall on repeat. Any Coldplay song works, honestly. Thanks, Chris Martin, I heart you.
8. Take a walk. When I was in College in Sydney, everytime I got the blues, I would get out from my dinky little apartment in the middle of the city and just walk. At the lobby, if I turn left, then I’m headed to Darling Harbour. If I turn right then I’m most probably headed to Pitt Street Mall or Queen Victoria Building. Further down, if I continue to walk pass Queen Victoria Building, I’d get to a pretty place called Hyde Park
I used to love just sitting on one of the bench and just read a book or watch people go by. Especially in Winter. When that cold air hits the face; I don’t get that in my country. That’s what I miss the most.
I think that’s about it. All these attempts are not 100% guaranteed, but try combining them accordingly and you will find which ones work best for you. Let me know what you think.